Monday, May 12, 2008

Aloha!


Good Morning! We made it to Hawaii and have begun to explore. We didn't make it to the hotel last night until about 9 p.m. and it was dark bythe time we got here, so not too much to report.

I will say on our flight to Seattle, we were stuck in the Bermuda Triangle of bad airline passengers. The guy next to me (not Tim) whistled softly to himself for nearly the entire five-hour flight. The guy in front of us got completely wasted and lost all volume control--his favorite topic of conversation was "Maui Wowie." But let's not forget the guys next to Tim and behind us. One snored like a lumberjack. The other had a crack problem. It was really unbelieveable.

However, once we landed, things got considerably better. Probably my favorite thing that happened was that I realized I was dressed too warmly. At night. WOO-HOO! The next best thing that happened (Tim would probably disagree about the order here) was as we were standing in line for a taxi, we noticed a nerd conversation taking place behind us. So, I suggested that we all share a cab. Turns out the guys were going to the same conference as Tim and one of them was the technical co-chair of the conference. Nice contact to make in the first 30 minutes. Then the guy paid for the whole cab ride, so double bonus.

I have to say that the entire cab ride, with Tim and two other engineers talking shop was pretty, um, interesting. They got to the point where I was pretty sure they were speaking in Greek symbols and a language greatly resembling a Calculus textbook and it was everything I could do to not laugh.

Well, that's all I have to report. Here's so photos of where we're staying. This is the walkway to our tower of the hotel.


I saw these guys on my way back from breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it! Gotta say, all of those palm trees look pretty familiar, but sadly, I've yet to see a flamingo. I don't even know if there are flamingo's here.

    Sorry you had to endure the geek-speak in the cab...shoulda struck up a conversation with the cabbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:48 PM

    Yeah ... looks like you'll have nice weather this week too! Enjoy the scenery and bring back some of that sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:54 PM

    I'm so jealous... it's all cold, gloomy and rainy here. Have a nice, relaxing time!!

    ReplyDelete