Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Video that almost was....



Tim here...don't blame any of this non-sense or lack of punctuation on Bec...

I had a blog worthy experience I just needed to share...but first I must mention that this post would not be possible without the financial support of Susan Rhein.

So there we were at a cafe between Saint Chapelle and Notre Dame. Cafes near major attractions are usually quite nice and this one did not disappoint. I need to use the toilette so I poked around inside and went down the stairs with the universal sign for toilet hanging above it. At the bottom of the steps there was a woman standing at a small but nice bar with a dish requesting 40 cents and a few phone- booth size closets to her right.

I thought there were a combination of pay and free toilets in the basement. I walked into the bathroom past the urinals and into the sitting area. There was no seat. Just two raised porcelain pads for your feet and a hole. It was the nicest eastern bathroom I have ever used. It was clean, nicely ceramic-ed and the best part, it had two stainless steel handles to keep you from falling in. I wished I had a camera.

I went upstairs and told the group what I had found. Tony, being the only other guy there at the time was probably the only other one interested. I few minutes later I was spare-changing our table (Thanks Suz) and borrowing Tony's camera. The woman must have thought I was not feeling well when I re-appeared so quickly. I went in the "sitting room" and waited a few minutes and snapped a few photos. I flushed just to complete charade, and then the next best idea struck. As a was looking for the switch to take a video of the toilet in action (flushing), the flushing was also quite an experience, somebody started pulling on the door and I thought it was best to leave.




If there are no pictures when you are reading this please come back and look in 30 minutes or so...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:21 AM

    When I was in France, I saw the same thing. My french family said women used these bathrooms too. I was confused and thought they were joking. Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy.

    ReplyDelete