Friday, January 04, 2008

Pinkies in the air and wave them like you just don't care!


We had a blast yesterday.

We started out very early (and very cold) on Portobello Road the famous open-air market. Only someone forgot to tell the merchants to show up. It was a pretty seedy part of town, but as luck would have it, I found a pretty sweet pair of shoes--on sale!

But believe it or not, that wasn't the pinnicle of our day.

Our next stop was Imperial College of London. Tim was accepted to grad school here, but since it costs about a gazillion U.S. dollars to attend and no funding was available, so he took a pass. But we stopped by and got him an Imperial t-shirt and got a mug shot in front of the school.

On our way to the art museum, we walked passed the Victoria and Albert Museum, which easily takes up several city blocks. Tim summed it up by saying, "I realize she inspired an era, but how much crap could one old lady want to show?" Needless to say, we didn't go in.

I'm always in awe of European art museums. On our walking tour of the National Gallery, we saw DaVinci, Michaelangelo, Bottacelli, Reubens, Monet, Manet, Titian, Van Gogh...They were all breathtaking.

But I think the highlight of my day was taking afternoon tea at the National Gallery.

You start out with an entire pot of tea just for yourself. Then, you get a three-tiered plate. On the bottom tier are sandwiches: ham, cheese and spicy mustard; cucumber and cream cheese, and finally egg salad with sprouts. The middle tier had a warm scone and clotted cream (which looks just like butter but doesn't have much flavor). And the top tier had a variety of cakes. We were stuffed!

After tea, we did a West End walk through Soho and the red light district--"Models" on the second floor, come on up! We ended the night on the crazy Picadilly Circus (think almost Time Square) and in Waterstone's the largest book store in Europe.

We're on our way to get a snack and then to the Tower of London to see the crown jewels. Then some shopping and finally packing.

This will probably be my last post, unless we can get to a Internet cafe tonight. Thanks for reading and commenting. I hope you've had as much fun as we have.

Cheerio!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:24 AM

    Those tea sandwiches look amazing! For some reason, that one photo is not blocked by WBH. Weird.

    I meant to ask earlier... have you had any candy yet? If you don't try any chocolate while you're there, I'm not sure we'll be able to be friends anymore:)

    My favs are crunchies, flakes, smarties and buttons. Try some-- you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Awww, I'm not ready to leave yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:16 PM

    i had no idea i could post on this thing. i would have been reading this much earlier! sounds like you guys are having a blast. about a post from a few days ago, isn't haggis stuffed sheep stomach? if it is, it sounds delicious! well, have a safe trip home and tell tim that i love him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:18 AM

    Hi Becca and Tim

    If you ever feel 'itchy' again for Europe, come to Holland! Maybe october is a good time because Coen and I will get married then! So you have your excuse, now book that ticket! :-) hahaha
    3 october is the big day. Would be great if you two can be there.

    Love, Lucinda and Coen
    Delft, The Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:49 PM

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Lucinda and Coen--congrats! That's wonderful. Please email me at rcalappi@sbcglobal.net and tell us how you're doing. I've tried emailing Coen at Yahoo and on myspace, but no luck. Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:32 AM

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Telefone VoIP, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-voip.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete