Friday, December 28, 2007

Whisky, wool and rain...oh my!



What a fun day today. Not just because of all we saw and did, but because the weather was so unpredictable. One minute--sun (I actually wore my shades for about 17 minutes!), the next minute it was pouring.

It rained so much, that on our way to Cadenhead's, a car drove by and completely soaked me with gutter water. I looked like I was wearing a leopard print coat. But we made it to Cadenhead's finally and Tim got his whisky lesson, taste and made a purchase. I, on the other hand, tucked up next to the heater with the store's dog, Maggie.

Funny story about Maggie. She took a liking to Tim and started licking the bottoms of his shoes. She was so intent on his shoes, that Tim accidentally stepped on her tongue--from which she emitted a bottle-shattering yelp.

Anyway, we walked the Royal Mile, toured the castle, checked out a woolen mill and saw tartans being woven.

We also each got a Scottish sweater. I made double sure mine was from Scotland (Tim's is Irish).

We just had drinks at a pub that has two sides. One for the common fella. The other for the hoity-toitys. We sat with some older gents on the hoity-toity side. Not because we're snobs, but because we really wanted to sit.

Time to get ready for tomorrow. We're off to the Highlands and Loch Ness, and the tour leaves early.

P.S. This is what's going on in our room right now...

4 comments:

  1. Poor Maggie!

    Glsd you got there safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool photo! I love the rainbow in the background. It sounds like you are having a great time in Scotland. Becca, I hope you drank some whiskey before staying by the fire – it is much more fun to try and warm up from the inside out! Tell Nessie that I said hello if you see her…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our guide today said, "You can't have a rainbow without the rain." So, I'm glad for the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 PM

    Was anything in those stockings come mornin'???

    ReplyDelete